Friday, January 15, 2021

A Day in Nanaimo


Yesterday I wrote about a beautiful stump top that I pass each day on my morning walk, but I forgot to post it. The photo is above. If you click on it, it will enlarge and allow you to see a garden of teeny tiny red flowers. I adore such forest beauty.

Yesterday went well. I knew it would, but my anxiety ruined it by keeping me from sleeping almost the entire night before leaving.

We caught the nine am ferry. I went early and parked the van in the lineup and then Sheba and I went for a long walk together before returning just in time to board. I got all the supplies I wanted. I get bulk packages of things like paper towels, toilet paper, kitty litter, grass seed, lawn fertilizer and the like at the big box stores. Then, for my reward, I went to the White Spot and got a takeout hamburger. I adore White Spot hamburgers, an addiction from childhood. 

Then Sheba and went to a park that surrounds the Nanaimo River. We love the park where, last summer, we spent a lovely afternoon watching a mother Mallard Duck swimming in the gentle stream with her ducklings. In Summer, the river is merely a gentle little stream. But not in Winter as these photos will show you:




This morning, I went outside at five am to chop wood for this morning’s fire and was delighted to see a clear sky full of stars. Today will be a delight. Sheba and I will take long walks and the rest of the day I’ll be immersed in the delightful book I’m reading: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. (I’m still waiting for books I ordered in early December from Amazonn!)

Tonight, I’ll be watching more of Pretend It’s a City, about and co-produced by Fran Lebowitz about whom I knew nothing. I am now a hue and devoted fan. Man, is she funny! And her hands! They fly as she talks. I adore her.
















No comments: