Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Stepford Actors: Nah!


This is an unaltered photograph of the aurora australis. It was taken by Larryn Rae and was a winner of the 2021 Northern Lights Photographer of the Year competition.

The best part of yesterday was going to a favourite trail to walk Her Highness and happening on Pam and her Airedale Cassie, Sandy and her Airedale Murphy, Dave with his Golden retriever, Wynter. All eight of us walked together and all our dogs were ecstatic about all the company.

The worst part was discovering that the Louise Penny book I was expecting to read next turned out to be a book by a different author with the same title. But I’ve four dozen books here to read whilst I wait for the book I want to come in the mail.

Meryl Streep, age 72, American

Harriet Walker, age 71, British.

Holy Jesus! I watched Being The Ricardos on Prime, and I could not get past Nicole Kidman’s plastic face. There’s not a line on her; her lips are moulded plastic. She looks like a Stepford actor. I watched it the night after I saw Sandra Bullock’s new movie, The Unforgivable, and same thing. Another Stepford. This plasticity of leading actors, the ageism of the industry, sickens me.

Meanwhile, in the U.K., actors have real faces. It’s one reason I pretty much stick to a non-American diet of movies. It’s the art with which I identify that evokes the strongest emotions, and that’s what great art does. Stepford actors make me feel like I’m living in some kind of dystopian society reflecting concocted values. 

I quite liked Being The Ricardos, and I had no trouble with Nicole Kidman’s acting. It showed Lucille Ball as a woman very different from the one we saw on television, and it’s a great script. There are some great lines in it. 

My neighbours are bringing me a charcuterie platter tomorrow. And they’re bringing me a warm Christmas plate on Saturday. I cannot believe their kindness; this is Shelly and Kevin. It makes me feel pretty darn good to be so generously treated. It really moved me to hear from Shelly what her plans were.


This incredible photo marks the end of Matador Torero Alvaro Munera’s career. He collapsed in remorse mid-fight when he realized he was having to prompt this otherwise gentle beast to fight. He went on to become an avid opponent of bullfights. Even grievously wounded by picadors, he did not attack this man.

Today: The usual. I’ll walk with my FDWs (fellow dog walkers) and read, but I may also do some drawing. I have my drawing materials and board all set up. I’ve been slowly working on a drawing. I’ll post a photo if it turns out decently. 
















No comments: