Monday, November 7, 2022

SNOW!

It’s fucking snowing!  It’s barely snowing; it’s like a flake every once in a while, but it’s snowing. Just 5 weeks ago I was in shorts and a t-shirt out in the garden. Sigh.

Sheba refused to go outside Sunday morning, so we did no walking. That was a first. I was in a funny mood anyway, exhausted from all the work involved with dealing with the storm. I was quite content to chill all day, but I had to make something to take to the boys for our potluck dinner.

You should see Pinecone Park. It’s a dump. There’s one enormous branch on the ground in the backyard and everywhere is covered in small. Branches and twigs. I saw everyone out cleaning up their yards yesterday, but I don’t see the point of doing that as more storms are sure to come. I tend to clear the gardens and leave the mess until Spring.

I was up at 4:00 am, thanks to the end of DST. Once all the dishes were done, the pets fed, the fire lit and all the extension cords put away, and order was restored to the house, I got on the chaise with Bruno and his friends. I’ve just started the penultimate book. I am going to miss Bruno when I have finished the series. But more will be written. Martin Walker is still a young man. I will move onto Donna Leon and Venice.

I’m really going to miss Bruno. Yes, the books are murder mysteries, but that’s just the frame of the story. Mr. Walker’s novels are resplendently gastronomic, and full of enticing description of the landscape Mr. Walker knows well. He lives in the Périgord. He is huge part of Bruno.

The evening was great. I took ingredients to the party so that I could cook the dish there and then serve it right away. I’ve never done anything like that before, but it went well. I love being with my gay friends. Spending time with my gay and lesbian friends gives me what going to church couldn’t.

I just discovered that Dyan, our new Foundation chair, only joined the board last year. It’s not my imagination; this woman is a dynamo of ambition. And now I understand her better. She’s on a path to revolutionize how the Foundation works. I am part of her team that is going to get the organization far more action oriented. I think it’s going to be great, what we do under her direction.

After our meeting, she sent everyone a memo with an action plan to get our website going. I couldn’t wish for more than that. This is going to be a great experience, working with her.












New Coral discovered off the Galápagos Islands.



No comments: