Sunday, March 17, 2024

Yesterday: 19° in Paradise

I was up early yesterday and got to work furiously. I vacuumed the whole house and took the rugs outside to beat them clean. I did laundry and hung it up outside! There was no need for a fire in the house. And then I blind baked the pastry shells for the tarts. I also made the pastry cream that will go into the bottom of each one. On top of the crème, I’ll put a thin layer of raspberry infused whipping cream. On top of that will be the berries: a lovely big blackberry in the centre of each one, and raspberries all around. Just before serving, I’ll dust them with powdered sugar.

Then we went for a walk. It was a glorious morning to walk, and as we cruised through the forest, I thought about all I’d do in the garden when we got home. I started with the edible garden. Cleaning up all the raised gardens and the ground. I took out the dead raspberries canes and did a thorough tidying of the herb garden. It was truly lovely working outdoors. I had my radio outside to entertain me as I worked.

Whoa! At 12:30, I had to take a break. My back was killing me, so I doffed my gear and slid into the healing waters of the spa. I was quiet again, and I could go au naturel because the men working for David and Ursula do not work on the weekend. It was quiet, warm and wonderful, and a fabulous way to allow my back to loosen up.

Once dried and changed, I was back outside. It was 19°! I had a huge tarp to clean and then fold up into a moveable size. And I stacked all the wood bucked from the fallen branches. As I worked, I made a mental list of what to do today. And then, when it was time to call it quits due to the time of day and my sore back, I cleaned up and then got to baking.

I made a raspberry purée that I folded into whipped cream. It went on top of the crème pâtissière and holds the fresh fruit on the tart. I’m taking 8 tarts to Stacy’s, and I had 4 left over, so I took them to Deborah and Alwin because Deborah shovelled my walk this past Winter, after a storm. Then I got a chair and its cushion from my studio and sat in the sun with Sheba and a book.

It was glorious driving to the south end of the island to Stacy’s place. I was in the best of moods because of the sunshine and the warmth. People on bikes whizzed past in shorts and tees, and I saw my first horses on the trail when I stopped to walk a little in the forest with Her Highness. She came to Stacy’s with me. She’s always welcome there.

When I got to Stacy’s, there was no answer at the door, so I got back into the car to go to Nancy’s to see what she knew. I passed her on the way to her house, so I turned round and followed her back to Stacy’s and Stacy was up from her nap with her granddaughter. The dinner was a little chaotic because of Rory, the granddaughter, but I took immediate delight in her company.

We’d assembled at 5:30, so we were quick to leave Stacy with Rory. I was home by 9:00 and I went immediately to bed.

Today is another spectacular day. I’m looking forward to doing lots of work outdoors and enjoying our long trail walks. Woo hoo!

Malaspina Point on my heavenly island. Taken yesterday.














No comments: