Monday, August 19, 2024

Steve Leaves and I am Sad, Sad, Sad.


Sunday, my day, was not my day at all this week. 

Our day began badly. I saw a notice on Facebook about our ferries. We have two, and one of them was out of service all weekend, so sailings were delayed and the implication for Steve, should the problems persist, were upsetting him greatly. He has to be in Vancouver by 1:00 for his flight to LA. And not only were the fairies a problem, but he was bumped from his flight from here on the seaplane. Panic set it, but now he’s planning to go on the Hullo ferry.

I didn’t walk Her Highness before we climbed into the car to be at The Commons where there was an island-wide garage sale happening, and Steve was very keen to go. We had a great time. Saturday night was a very stormy night, but when we arrived at The Commons, the sun came out.

We came home, had lunch and then we both had a nap, followed by a spa, and then I went to Rollo to play fetch with Her Highness while Steve packed. And as I came home, the sky darkened heavily, thunder and lightning began, and then we had a total downpour. So, we called Beth and had a nice chat with her while the rains came down. Then Steve got into the car to get us pizzas from Woodfire. Their pizzas are excellent. And we settled into an evening of movies, chatting and delicious pizza. 

We watched Joyride with Olivia Coleman, and I loved it. It’s my kind of movie: no sex, no violence, happy ending, lovely protagonists. And it’s Irish! We both loved it, but I was thoroughly beat afterwards and I went to bed very early.

This morning, we were both up early. Steve had to catch an early ferry to get to the Hullo ferry in time, so we left here shortly after 6:30 am. The ferry was there when we arrived and he boarded quickly. I was crushed. I sat in the car and watched him disappear into the distance as tears poured down my face. There were more as I walked Her Highness on the way home, and more as I pulled into the driveway to a house without him. I was gutted.

It's going to be a sad day.


(Left to right) Brian, me, Eoin, Jay, Steve. François took the photo.
This group assembles every year when Steve comes to visit.

This is Hank and I love him to bits. Dona sent
me this photo taken long ago when it was cold.

No comments: