Friday, August 16, 2024

Steve's Visit Going Well

The Milky Way behind the Three Merlons. The Tre. Come di Lavaredo are three
distinctive battlement-like peaks, in the Sexten Dolomites of north-eastern Italy.
This photo was an "Astronomy Photo of the Day" last week.


wednesday

Wednesday began cool and cloudy, but it soon cleared up and we had hot temperatures and clear blue sky. To take advantage of the beautiful day, we all went to Drumbeg for our morning walk, and on the way home, we stopped at François’s and Eoin’s and got a dozen duck eggs. From there, we came home for lunch and a rest before leaving for the big island where we had plans to visit a park before going to Mahle House for dinner.

Our trip to Mahle House was great. We were near the front of the line for the ferry, and not only that, where we stopped, we were in the shade. What a blessing! And when we got to the big island, we went to the park not far from Mahle House and had a lovely walk with Sheba so that she’d be tired and sleep while we were having our fabulous five-course gourmet dinner in the most wonderful restaurant.

Walking the trails before dinner was a bit tough for me and the noise in the restaurant was also a challenge for me. But what a wonderful night. When we got to the ferry to come home, we missed the ferry by seconds—seconds! So, we then had to wait 90 minutes for the next ferry, but it was a gorgeous night and so Sheba and I went walking while Steve napped in the car.

When we finally got home, we were both dying to go to bed, so that’s what we did. We couldn’t have bunked down quicker. And today will be a very slow day. Steve has an infuriating cough. He is constantly coughing. I have him gargling with salt water and resting as much as he can. I hope he just chills today and gives his body a chance to heal. All he wants to do is party and play.

thursday

I was up early, as usual, and I dove into my routine until 7:30 and then I left for the clinic. I put the note I’d written for the clinician and my driver’s license on the consul between the front seats of the car, and when I hit the brake softly to not scare a deer, I saw my license slide into the void below the consul. Sigh.

I had my test and came home to water the backyard garden beds. And while I did that, Steve went into the village to get food for tonight’s dinner (that I’m calling Faggot Frolic @ Pinecone Park). When he came home, and when I’d finished watering all the back beds, we both took a nap and then we went into Ground Up for lunch. It was fun to be out and about with Steve, doing something local.

When we got home, we both took naps. Steve is fighting a really nasty cough, so I had him gargling before going down. My nap was short and I got to watering all the front yard beds, and when I was done, Steve and I went to Rollo Park so I could exercise Her Highness, and when I came back to the car, there was my driver’s license sitting on the consul. Steve figured out how to get under the consul and I could have given him a million dollars because I was so happy to have it back and to not have to deal with an ICBC office in Nanaimo.

When we got home, I got to feeding the brood while Steve took the car and went to Brickyard Beach to beachcomb and, potentially, harvest some blackberries. After that it we had a divine dinner of pesto pasta, using fresh picked Basil from my garden. It was delicious. We watched movies and went to bed. Steve is really battling a bad, bad cough, the poor guy.















No comments: