Saturday, September 5, 2026

A Great Day with Dwight

Dwight rose earlier than other guests. I made him waffles and coffee and then we went to Rollo Park to walk, but Sheba balked. That’s when I discovered a big would on one of her back feet. So, two feet are now bandaged, and it rather thrills me to sense that she knows I am caring for her. Once I’d cleaned and medicated her wound and put a sock on her foot, she was walking with less discomfort and she was very, very attentive to me.

We came home and decided to go to The Surf for lunch, but that was a couple of hours away, so I asked Dwight to help me with some garden work. He’s a big, strong man, and he took the lead as we uprooted a failing Azalea, transplanted my failing Japanese Maple into the hole left from removing the Azalea, and we planted my large Fuchsia into the hole where the Maple had been. And then, Dwight decided to get rid of the stump from the Cherry Tree that was a trip hazard. 

I was profoundly happy and grateful for all he did. In an hour and a half, he did several big jobs that were beyond me to do. It thrilled me to have it all done and I could hardly wait to provide more soil around the Fuchsia and to prop up its branches. I resolved to pick up some soil on our way home from lunch at The Surf.

We drove to The Surf in glorious sunshine and installed ourselves on the lawn with Sheba, and we had a truly lovely and relaxing lunch. I felt good treating Dwight to lunch to thank him for all the work he did. I was worried about what we would do today and it was rolling out just fine. He is such a soul mate; we were enjoying every minute together. There isn’t a more compatible soul for me on earth, but Steve, Dianne, Beth, Bruce, John and Bunny are also part of my ‘family.’

After lunch, we came home and I decided to have a nap and a soak while Dwight took the car and went to Sandwell Beach. He loves beachcombing on that long beautiful stretch of coastline where there are a bazillion small, rounded pebbles on the shoreline and acres of sand at low tide.

We’d planned on going to Silva Bay for fish tacos for dinner, but I asked to stay home to eat. It was too chilly for me to want to eat outside, and no one would be there, so Dwight made pasta sauce and we ate delicious pasta and then watched a fun movie followed by some amazing short films on YouTube. 

This morning, I’ve been surprised by light rain. I’m thrilled, of course, I had planned to do some heavy watering today, but I’m happy to be able to skip watering and to spend the greater part of the day chillin’.

We’d planned on breakfast together at Ground Up this morning, followed by a visit to the farmers’ market, but plans may change when Dwight rises. I think breakfast together will still be on the table, but he may choose to head back earlier than planned. 

We’ve had a great visit. This has been the best Summer ever, with visits by Steve, Beth and Dwight that were remarkably fun and without any seizures (except one) and decent speech.

I’m profoundly grateful for all the garden help Dwight provided this trip. The forecast is for a week of sunshine and temperatures hovering around 20°. I can leisurely do more cleaning up of the yard as I prepare for the long, dark, cool and wet months.
















No comments: