Monday, September 14, 2026

My Day Goes Excellently!

My Day dawned sunny, cool and bright. Fred ensured that I was up before 5:00. He was indifferent to my having had a night of fitful sleep. I fed everyone and lit a morning fire, had a lovely long leisurely soak in the spa in the gentle silence of morning. Then we went for our morning walk.

I am so relieved and happy that we are back to a new normal with Her Highness. She’s now a slow walker, but that suits my chronically painful left foot. She’s wanting affection more. Now, whenever we go for a walk, when I open the back door of the van for her, she wants a cuddle before she gets inside. And when we return to the car to come home, more attention is required.

When we got home, I made a veggie-rich pasta sauce for dinner. There are left over for more tonight and for tomorrow’s lunch. 

I still get a big buzz of euphoria about living here and taking two forest walks every day. Now, our walks are just us, and I think she likes that. There are no dogs getting all in her face (in a good way). Last evening, as we walked along a forest path, the air smelt sweet with the fragrance of licorice. It was exhilarating. I stopped to savour it.

I still, every day, moments come that make me feel absolutely blessed to have this home and yard, and, of course, my beloveds. Post-breakdown me fits life on Gabriola perfectly.

Fuck! I’ve got a hell of a lot of work to do. Aidan has put together an event. These events are celebratory and feature people who stutter. To be honest, I’ve not absorbed what I’ve heard about the cultural side of SPACE activities. I’m team advocacy.

But I have agreed to ‘perform’ at this event. It’s in Vancouver; he’ll pay my way over; I’ve done this before. This one is short. I haven’t timed it yet. And I like it. It’s called Voices. I’ll likely post it here when I feel it’s set. I’m waiting on word about it from Aidan once he’s read it.

Now, I’ve got to memorize it. Fuck. It’s a thousand words, much shorter than my bit for the monologue festival. But still, fuck. It’s work. A lot of work. I’ve got a month to learn it. I reckon I can do that.

In response to anonymous (I got a comment) who asked about the verb, ‘reckon,’ entered my vocabulary. Short answer: because I cannot say the words ‘can’ and ‘can’t,’ the way I have always pronounced them before my stutter set in. So, when I speak out loud, I say those words as thought I have an English accent. But when I talk to myself and wrote, I use ‘reckon’ to avoid the c-word, even when I am talking to myself.

It’s cloudy this morning and looks like it may rain. Oh, I hope it does. I must water this morning, but I am in no hurry. There is no sun burning down on the garden beds. First, we walk, then I water. This afternoon, SPACE work.
















No comments: