Thursday, September 3, 2026

Dwight Arrival Day

The pets woke me early yesterday morning, but that was fine with me because I like to have lots of time to attend to chores and get all my stuff together for a trip to the big island. I charged all my electronics, posted, spot watered the most vulnerable plants and made a list of things that I wanted to get while in the land of big box stores.

It was overcast and only 15° in the morning. Rain had been predicted, so I hoped for some showers while we were away. At 7:30, I took Her Highness to Rollo Park for a walk on the grass before we went to catch the ferry, and she pleasantly surprised me by joining me along the entire trail. 

I decided to go quite early and make a Walmart run for a lot of my paper supplies and to get bulk kitty litter. I had free ferry fare because of my medical appointment, so doing errands on a free ferry trip is very practical. 

We left home at 9:50 to catch the 10:35 ferry. I was the last car allowed onto the ferry. Once on the big island, the first stop was for sushi and to do grocery shopping. Then we went to Walmart and I was in and out quickly, then we headed off to the hospital. And more luck: as I turned onto the street where I like to search for parking as it is close to the dog off-leash area, a car was pulling out and I got free parking!!

We had a good walk together and then I gave Sheba a treat and I headed off to the pacemaker appointment. I sped around on foot looking for the clinic for half an hour and couldn’t find it. Finally, I stopped to ask for help inside the main hospital. The grounds around the hospital are a huge construction project, so it is hard to find entrances. With the help of a lovely man at a reception centre, I found out where to go.

Good news! I do not have to have my pacemaker replaced because I have a lot of battery life left. They think my pacemaker will last another eight years. Will I? We were done quickly, so then we raced to the ferry terminal where we had a short wait, and we were home just before 16:00 as rain started to fall. 

I unloaded nothing. I felt like I’d been through a world war. I fed everyone and fell onto the chaise. Nothing interested me. I just flipped through YouTube videos until 20:00 and went to bed for a long deep sleep.

Today has dawned dark and wet. I wonder if Dwight will cancel. It’s not great weather for his bike ride to visit. I shall unload all my purchases, and rest while I await word on whether Dwight will choose to come when the weather is nicer.

He's coming! I got a text at 8:00 saying he was at the ferry terminal. Hooray! With my bro until Saturday!
















No comments: