Oh my goodness, what a busy day!
Fred woke me at 4:00 yesterday morning. I’ve never been awakened by an alarm clock. I’ve never needed one because I’ve always been a very early riser. But I’m awakened all the time now by Fred. He’s loud and he’s heavy when he walks over me as I’m wishing I could sleep longer. Then, once Sheba is sure Fred has done his job, she joins in with her ‘feed me’ whimpers.
I’m never angry about their morning insistence. I always get up and each time, I reinforce their habit unfortunately. But I cannot bring myself to close the door. If I do that, Ethel will frantically scratch at the door in the night because the toilet is her preferred place to drink.
I was easy to raise yesterday because we were going to the new vet in Nanaimo for a 9:45 appointment. But more important than that was that I was going to be able to have delicious sushi for lunch and do some shopping for some things I love to eat but cannot get here on Gabriola.
This vet visit is the only appointment I have this week. I have no Zoom calls or social engagements, so I’ll have lots of time to memorize my script and to do some other SPACE work. It’s predicted to rain tomorrow, and the ensuing days are neither all sunny and bright, nor warm, so my watering duties may dwindle for a while. Hooray!
I left here at 7:30, got into the ferry line, and then took Sheba for a walk while we waited for the ferry. On board, I worked on my script. I was chuffed to be able to recite faultlessly, the three hundred words I’d learned on Monday. I will be finished memorizing my speech today.
Once on the big island, we went immediately to Thrifty Foods and I did my shopping. I put all the perishables in my fabulous portable cooler in which I’d place ice bags. And then we went to the vet.
I was thrilled by everything at the vet. Sheba has stiffness in her left rear leg, so that has been what’d been slowing her down. She’s lost weight, so I was chuffed and they praised me for all my decisions about Sheba. I am very glad I switched to this veterinary clinic. It’s small, friendly and efficient. I didn’t even have to wait.
We were back home before noon. And no sooner had I put everything away and installed myself on the chaise for a wee nap, when Peter arrived. He was headed home for lunch, but he stopped by to tell me that he was coming back afterwards to clean my gutters and roof of all the needles and shite. I felt I should get started so, by the time he arrived back here to work, I’d done quite a bit of the work.
Then Jeff arrived. He came to inspect the tree I wanted to take down and it’s going to cost much more than I thought it would cost, but it will yield a lot of wood for next Winter after it dries out next Summer. It’s a huge tree and Jeff thought I was wise to get it down because it is leaning and its root system goes under my cistern. So down it will come, regardless of cost. They will buck and split it as well, hence the high price.
We worked, and we worked hard, until 17:30, and when we were done, I felt like a zombie. I was thoroughly baked. I fed the brood and then myself, watched a very short film and was in bed by 20:00 with my book.
•
Woo hoo! Rain! It felt so, so wonderful to open the back door to let Sheba out after her breakfast and hear rain and see wetness everywhere. Best of all was knowing that I didn’t have to water today. My plan is to finish the fabulous novel that I’m reading (Angle of Repose), and to do some SPACE work.
I have all day to myself, but I will Zoom with Aidan at 14:00. The fire’s lit and I am ready for a lovely relaxing day with the brood.
No comments:
Post a Comment