Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Tim Visits / Greta!


Wow! Today dawned cloudless. But then the blanket of clouds returned. But it’s predicted to be beautiful for the next week (except for Thursday). I’ll be back outside and it’s great news for Tim. He emailed me yesterday to say that he’s arriving this afternoon will stay for a night or two.
The impending good weather is great news for my Marijuana. When this wonderful break in the weather ends, I will harvest my crop.
I listened to Greta Thunberg’s address to the UN yesterday morning. I had some lingering doubts about her, but no more. The speech was profoundly impressive and she took direct aim at the delegates. She shamed them for paying lip service to climate change whilst prioritizing economic growth. I wept when she was done, and for quite a while I struggled to understand why.
I wept because I so rarely hear such on point and sincere  rhetoric any more. She was succinct and powerful. I worry for her future; this world may gobble her up.
I wept because a teenage girl “on the spectrum” can speak more sensibly than all the diplomats and politicians in office and because she makes you realize what a fucking total backward loser Trump is as well as all the gun advocates, climate change deniers and anti-vaccination people.
And I weep because she gives me hope:
“You come to young people for hope? How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words.”
“And yet,” she said, “I’m one of the lucky ones. People are suffering, people are dying, entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth. How dare you?”
“There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures [presented] today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable and you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.”
The young activist seemed to tear-up slightly during her speech. It was poignant to me. But to Donald Trump (walking feces), she was worthy of derision. He tweeted: “She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!" What a travesty of a human being he is!

















No comments: