Wednesday, June 26, 2013

And He Walks HAPPY Today!

The amazing lawyer, Roberta Kaplan (right), and Edie Windsor, whose case gave the legal civil marriages of homosexual couples full federal equality.Windsor said, “I wanna go to Stonewall right now!”

I was up at 5:00 am searching for live streaming of the US Supreme Court's two key decisions this morning. Here is what I wrote to all my gay friends when they woke up (if they checked their email) in case they did not know about today.

The US Supreme Court rules TODAY on two cases affecting gay people. I believe it is to be announced at 7:00 am PDT. The issues before the court are California's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which denies legally married gay Americans a range of tax, health and pension benefits otherwise available to married couples. I have been looking for a live feed but cannot find one. But in about 70 minutes, a moment like Stonewall is about to happen.

Do you remember the Dalcon Sheild? It was a birth control device that rendered thousands of women sterile in the US and Canada. My friend Maggie Thompson led the Canadian fight against Dow Chemical (which declared bankruptcy and formed a new company to avoid responsibility and spent hundreds of millions of dollars to not recompense the women). It took over ten years of fighting a vile corrupt gaggle of psychopaths but on the day of the decision, Maggie heard that she won for all her clients, and then she had a break down and was lost for two years. She has recovered but is not the same person and today I am thinking of the few individuals who for an eternity have been fighting, raising money, organizing and praying for a positive outcome in 70 minutes. I feel for those people right now.
Today is a fine day for everyone; both decisions affirmed the rights of gay people. I want to party. I will think of the brave and tenacious individuals who fought to make me equal in law.

And I hope all the gay haters have a lovely day!

No comments: