Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Seize the Day

I went into the market to get some fish for Dwight’s birthday dinner and I stopped at Colleen’son the way to get some nice Irish wool socks. I was having a bitch of a time talking at each place I went. Then, at Wishbone, I started seizing at the till and the clerk called an ambulance while I was “gone.” I was totally oblivious to what was going on.
In the halo, or the eye of the storm, I was able to convince people with sign language and single sounds that I was okay. A man who seemed confident and was kind, talked to me and through him, everyone was reassured I’d be okay.
I was left to rest and then the other “side” of the seizure came on—the other half. But it was milder and I went through it quietly on my own. And then, “snap;” it was over. I stood up and spoke lucidly, giving them the confidence to let me leave unassisted—and they even managed to cancel the ambulance!
And thank God! I’d have been taken to Nanaimo, spent hours unnecessarily there, been discharged and have to get a cabs home. Then an invoice for $78 would arrive for the ambulance.
I came home and cooked all afternoon. Dwight’s a Pescetarian so I made Moroccan rice (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise and lotsof saffron) and made a seafood/veggie paella for us. To the delicious fragrant rice, I added raisins, sliced almonds, chic peas, red and green peppers (for colour), jalapenos, onions, mushrooms, lime zest and fish oil —and I cooked everything separately.
The nuts were just softened and given some spicy flavouring in the pan, the veggies were perfectly al dente; the mushrooms and onions were firm and juicy. Each part was perfect. I mixed in a lot of those little pink shrimp and barbequed the scallops and prawns to add on top just before I served our mains.
He caught the 5:00 ferry, arriving at 5:20. Before we ate, we had champagne. And then, for the first course I served a kale salad with dried cranberries, roasted pumpkin seeds and a lovely creamy dressing. And for dessert we had apple pie with ice cream. It was a lovely meal for a cold night with a spectacular friend. 
The meal was my birthday gift to him. His birthday was last Sunday. 
During our time together I had four seizures.
Dwight is dealing with a serious health challenge, too. We talked a lot about it. He also hadn’t seen me for a while, so he had things to say about my condition as he watched me seize over and over again.
That led to me writing to Dr. Shoja to ask for a letter that explains: (1) that my seizures do not require emergency medical intervention; and (2), that I can drive once I recover. I hope that with a letter like that in my wallet I can feel a little less anxious about venturing forth.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Good morning. Lynda Tam here again (the lover of your photographs). I just want to say Chris that your blog gives me such joy every day and I really appreciate it. You are such a fascinating and inspiring person. Thank you!