Saturday, March 26, 2016

Cream Puffs (and a Meal) for Friends

This is craquelin. It is flour, brown sugar, sugar and water
rolled flat between parchment paper to a very,very thin
consistency. Then I cut little circles of it with which to top
each puff before it goes into the oven. It yields that
lovely surface you see on each cream puff. 


Beth is coming for dinner. She's from Toronto. And my friends Allan and Larry are also coming. Allan and Beth did shows together when Beth was an actor here in Vancouver many, many years ago. It will be a lot of fun for me to be with thespians.

I'm serving three courses by Yotam Ottolenghi. I remain passionate about this incredibly talented chef. God, I love his food. First: Fancy Coleslaw that has fabulous tastes coming from baked, spiced nuts, tarragon and fennel amongst the radicchio, carrot and cabbage. And, as always with Chef Ottolenghi, the sauce it to die for.

Second: Fried leeks; a favourite and always a hit. And then the Spicy Potato Cakes with apple chutney I make. It is a tapas-style dinner and the cream puffs, above, are for dessert. I am stuffing them with praline paste and whipping cream inside beside a dollop of my own passion fruit ice cream. Yum.

No comments: