Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Trump Slump

Further to my shock of becoming a Bush supporter because of things like his friendship with Michelle Obama and now, his public rebuking of Trumpism and its effect on the Republican party, comes another attack from Bush’s speechwriter, Michael Gerson. 

“To be a loyal Republican, one must be either a sucker or a liar.”

“And because this defining falsehood (about the election) is so obviously and laughably false, we can safely assume that most Republican leaders who embrace it fall into the second category,” he continued. “Knowingly repeating a lie — an act of immorality — is now the evidence of Republican fidelity.”

“A founding lie… (like Trump’s election fraud conspiracy theory is) … “intended to remove followers from the messy world of facts and evidence. Replace critical judgment with personal loyalty” … and… “encourage distrust of every source of social authority opposed to the leader’s shifting will.”

“No, it is the elected Republicans who are lying with open eyes, out of fear or cynicism, who have the most to atone for,” he concluded. “With the health of U.S. democracy at stake, their excuses are disgraceful.”

And YAY! The ban of the Donald from Facebook will continue! Hurray for every sane socio-political decision made.

The sunshine was lovely yesterday. I got to do some work outside and the yard is looking mighty fine. I cleaned up the courtyard, mowed all the lawns (including the new lawn I seeded and it’s looking fabulous) and fertilized many of my plants. And, of course, thoroughly enjoyed my walks with Her Highness.

Woo, f’ing hoo! The BC Ferry Authority has closed passage to our island for non-essential travel. And banned recreational vehicles.

Beth wrote to point out a comment on the immediate past post on this blog. It’s from a good friend from long, long ago and I was thrilled to read it and discover that my friend wants to get together. I have such fond memories of him and his whole family. They are a wonderful group. I answered his comment and soon, I hope, we’ll be planning a get together somewhere, somehow. I can hardly wait. 

This is what I saw one day whilst forest walking.

This is how they are emerging. I will watch to see what they
become. They might be Ghost Orchids. I'm not sure.

The backyard that is my oasis.

My Herb garden  is booming. 

The pergola I built is becoming engulfed with climbing
Hydragea and Roses.

My new front lawn!

No comments: