Thursday, April 15, 2021

A Surprise at the Clinic

Yesterday afternoon it was 22°! It’s the best antidote to Covid misery possible. Everyone was in great spirits during our group dog walk and when it was done, I went shopping before coming home to water my gardens. It is desert dry here and my poor plants need water desperately—especially as it’s Spring and they are in full growing mode. It felt good to feed them.

The good news: My speech is improving! It really is! I spoke acceptably with Dr. Magic (whom I really, really like). And when I got home, I called Bruce and spoke well with him, so things are looking up in terms of my mental health. I mean, my speech is still laboured, but I’m not even close to mute.

The bad news is the reason Dr. Magic called me in, and it’s a bummer: My kidneys are failing. He showed me a chart of my kidney “levels” (?) over the past four years that looked like a profit/loss charting of economic collapse. It was even in red. 

More tests are coming my way over the next few months; the reason for the decline is to be determined and stopped. Dr. Magic is going to talk to my HIV docs about reducing the dosage of my HIV medications that are not getting cleaned out of my body and building up in my blood. Dr. Magic was calm, so I am too. It’s been detected early. All plans about travel are off for now. I’m sticking around here until the dust settles.

Besides the speech and kidney issues, I’m having a really nasty asthma attack. I’m contacting the asthma clinic today to see if I can/should get a nebulizer treatment at the Nanaimo hospital. Just fuck. But I reckon the best medicine for me right now is cake. I may be baking later today.

It all feels rather tick-tocky. On the plus side, for me, I’m back to being diligent with my asthma medications, and I feel I can handle anything except depression, fear, anger or regret.  

When I got home, there was an email from my friend Bruce. We’d been in an email conversation back and forth all morning, but after reading his latest email, I decided to call him. I told him my news and he mentioned that Peter, the husband of our friend Angela, does dialysis at home. Like an arrow, that news hit dead centre of the target of my fears. If it comes to that, dialysis at home is tolerable.

One god is an archer. I am a Sagittarian.

Today, I've lots of yard work to do. I've to mow the lawn, do more seeding of the front lawn, and watering and edging to do. And then the cake to make.
















No comments: