Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Steve and Tim Arrive


I left home at 8:30 am on Monday to meet my friends for our dog walk and it was already 20°! What a fabulous day for visitors—not just mine, the island is crawling with them. The local newspaper says tourism is raging on the island; our winter population is about 2,000; right now it’s estimated to be 4,500.
I had a final hour alone in the quiet before the arrival of the hurricane. By 10:30 I was pretty antsy so I called Steve on Facetime and talked to him whilst he was waiting in the terminal in Vancouver. Then, at 11:00, I was off to Silva Bay to fetch he and Tim. His sister and brother-in-law don’t arrive until tonight.
By 11:30 am (Monday) I was wondering where the plane was. I checked my phone for messages; there were four missed Facetime calls from Steve: Their flight wasn’t until 1:45; their flight back to Vancouveris at 11:00 am on Saturday. I was antsy again by 1:00 pm.
Then … There they were!
We drove home and I really enjoyed hearing his praise for the beauty (as in tranquility) of the yard. He and Tim liked having the studio to share; they were tired from Pride celebrations and their trip, so Tim took a nap whilst Steve and I did some catching up. He means so much to me still; his appreciation for the island and my home were incredibly well received in my heart.
At 4:30, I got into the spa. Then we assembled on the deck to just chat and snack with drinks before we made dinner together. I loved making our supper meal like a family. We ate and I killed the party by going to bed at 9:00.

This morning, Steve surprised me by rising at 6:00. Tim rose shortly thereafter. By the time Steve was up, I’d finished the watering and all my duties and so we all went for a walk with Sheba along the Trail to Nowhere. They loved the walk in the early morning fresh air.
Then we made a picnic lunch and went to Drumbeg and didn’t come home until 3:00. They loved my favourite spot and enjoyed a nice long walk along the beach. It was a spectacular day—30° but with a nice breeze on the coast where we were.
Now, they’re resting. It’s early Tuesday afternoon and we’re expecting Lydia and David tonight, so we’ll go shopping for dinner supplies.

















No comments: