Thursday, August 29, 2019

This Project Never Ends

I got up at 4:00 this morning. I haven’t done so for a long time but for decades it was my normal time to rise. And I discovered I’d left the gate open last night. That’s the way to lose a lot of plants to hungry Deer but I seem to have escaped any damage.
Yesterday, something very strange and scary happened during the dog walk. All of a sudden, I started stepping sideways to keep from falling over. I thought I was losing my balance; I was scared I was having a stroke. It stopped as suddenly as it came on but all the rest of the day I was nervous. 

Working on the pathway and keeping the gardens watered kept me very  busy yesterday. It’s so hot right now, days and nights, that water evaporates at a furious rate and I have to water some plants in the morning and again in the afternoon. But I got another good long section of the pathway done. 
I kind of ran out of steam in the afternoon. I wasted time waiting for the water that arrived late. (An accident that closed the Island Highway.) But once the hot tub was working again, I went back to work on the path and filled all the gaps. That’s the time consuming part—filling the cracks between the planks with compacted soil.
And today will be more of the same but work will be slower because I’m almost out of clean lumber and I’ll have to clean more before I use it. 

For a change of pace, I’ve been putting gravel around the trees and plants that I’ve scattered through the yard where I’ll be seeding. I watched a master gardener video on YouTube that says letting lawn grow right to the plants reduces the water the plant gets by 30%.
One magnificent thing about today is that my spa is back in working order. I had a spa very early this morning and will certainly have another at happy hour.

















No comments: